That our daughters may be as corner stones...

...polished after the similitude of a palace...

~Psalm 144:12~

Monday, June 19, 2006

I Cannot Live Without Books...

When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
~Erasmus~



How true can that be! What can I say, I love books. I have scads of books. Our house is full of books. Mom and dad will probably be glad when I leave with all my books so they can add more of their own. Yep, they love books too.

I thought I'd share some of my favorites, my currently reading, and those on my reading list... this is kind of an updating post, so I'll end up linking it in the sidebar so y'all can check back if you'd like. Mom and Kate might do this too, so you can see the wide range (and overlap) of what we all love to read. If you wish to see reviews of any of these books once I'm done with them, or want to suggest any for me to add to my list, leave a comment!



Last Updated: 9.15.06


...Currently Reading...


Back To Basics: Rediscovering the Richness of the Reformed Faith, ed., David Hagopian
I've enjoyed this book so much! It has been a very good refresher as to what I believe and also covers doctrines I've never looked into that much... I'm definitely looking forward to finishing this one!


American Gospel, by Jon Meacham






For the Family's Sake: The Value of Home in Everyone's Life, by Susan Schaeffer MacAulay






...Recently Read...


The Birkenhead Drill, by Douglas Phillips
This was a neat book, and a quick read. The idea of "women and children first" always seems to come from the Titanic, but many don't know (and I didn't either!) that this wreck came before the Titanic, and set the precedence for "women and children first." I only wish there had been more about the principle, rather than a simple narration. I did like reading the original and first-hand accounts of the wreck.

Passion and Purity, by Elisabeth Elliot
I read this book pretty quickly, and I enjoyed reading Elisabeth and Jim Elliot's story. However, something struck me as odd with the way they handled their courtship, and I couldn't figure it out until later. Two things, actually: one is that there was virtually NO parental involvement mentioned, and two, that she only advocates physical purity, yet not emotional purity.

Her Hand in Marriage, by Douglas Wilson
Luke and I read this book together, and wow, I really enjoyed it! This book is the absolute best book I've ever read on courtship, hands down. He concentrates on principle, and on raising your children to be courtship-committed, and to have the characteristics for a Godly wife/husband. I would actually recommend this book for new parents, as it would be a good guide for raising children.


When You Rise Up: A Covenental Approach to Homeschooling, by R.C. Sproul, Jr.
This has been one of the best books I ever read...a full review is coming soon!








...All-Time Favorites...


I Kissed Dating Goodbye, by Joshua Harris
This is a book I'd recommend if someone has ever dated before. It was the first courtship-minded book I read, and though it didn't apply to me much, the principles within definitely did. It's a good reminder why dating isn't the best method, and has some good questions to ask yourself as to whether or not you're ready for a relationship.

Boy Meets Girl, by Joshua Harris
This book has a little more of Joshua Harris' view of how to set a courtship in motion, and has some great questions to ask, as well as heart and attitude checks for along the way. He tells the story of his and his bride's courtship, not so that others may copy it exactly but so that readers can see the principles in action.
Note: This book has a chapter that parents definitely need to read first.

Beloved Bride, by William Potter
I love to read about Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson from the Civil War, and I've read this book several times. It is filled with letters to and from Jackson and his beloved wife, Anna, and is a true testimony to his love for not only Anna, but his Lord and Savior as well. This one is definitely worth a second (and third and forth...) read!

Her Hand in Marriage, by Douglas Wilson
Luke and I read this book together, and wow, I really enjoyed it! This book is the absolute best book I've ever read on courtship, hands down. He concentrates on principle, and on raising your children to be courtship-committed, and to have the characteristics for a Godly wife/husband. I would actually recommend this book for new parents, as it would be a good guide for raising children.







...On the List...


The Fallacy Detective, by Nathaniel & Hans Bluedorn






Praise Her in the Gates, by Nancy Wilson







The Joshua Generation, by Michael Farris







The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas







1776, by David McCullough







A Tale of Two Cities







Homemaking, by J.R. Miller
Mom did a review of this book, which you can find here.







Christian Modesty and the Public Undressing of America, by Jeff Pollard











1 Comments:

  • At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YAY for books! :-D I'm reading some of those too. ;-)

    Thanks for the post and I hope you're having a great day. :-)

    ~Luke

     

Post a Comment

<< Home